Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Color Wheel (your new BFF)

At a very young age, I've always had a thing for color. Odd as it may sound, I've somehow committed to memeory every crayon name in the Crayola box and I could probably draw a color wheel on the spot if you asked me to (not that you would.. but just sayin'...)! The reasons behind my early love for color is unknown, but perhaps this explains why I incorporate color into my outfits so much. Of course I have my days when I resort to the neutrals - blacks, tans and the 50 shades of gray - but I'd have to say I think my wardrobe consists of more color than most. I'm sure there are several reasons why people shy away, but I think often it is because they are scared to mix and match and make too much of a color statement. I guess I've always subconsciously resorted to my color wheel knowledge when choosing what to wear, but it wasn't until recently that I realized what a fabulous asset the color wheel can actually be! 

So here's the 411-


Primary Colors: Red, Yellow, Blue
Essentially, these are the only colors you'd ever need (if you were an artist). In the fashion world, however, life with only these colors would be quite boring. Which is why we have....

Secondary Colors: Orange, Green, Purple
These colors are born from the combination of primary colors. (i.e. Red + Yellow = Orange, Yellow + Blue = Green, Blue + Red = Purple) 

Does this take you back to elementary school Art 101 or what??? ;)   SO, you may know these basic color wheel facts or you may not. But that's not the point. The point is, with this basic knowledge, deciding on your next colorful outfit should be quite simple. As a basic rule of thumb, try to select color combos based on whether they are next to each other on the color wheel (analogous color schemes, such as blue-green, green, and blue-yellow), or opposite each other the color wheel (complimentary color schemes, such as purple and yellow or blue and orange).

Here are some of my fave combos:

Analogous ~ blues and greens

Analogous ~ blues and purples
  
Complimentary ~ pink and green



Complimentary ~ blue and orange





Complimentary ~ purple and yellow



So study up on the color wheel... or hang one in your closet... and start rocking color this summer with confidence! :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment